Monday, December 29, 2014

Tasty Turkey

Last night I decided to roast up the turkey breast that my amazingly sweet visiting teacher had brought over last week. She is constantly surprising me with her acts of kindness. I decided I did not want to go the traditional route with my bird since I've never really liked it any way we have done it before. I used something I remembered from a recipe I had read on the Butterball recipe site mixed with a little imagination.

The original recipe was found here: http://www.butterball.com/recipes/detail/citrus-glazed-turkey-breast, and although it is simple, called for more ingredients than I had around.

I unwrapped my 7.6 pound turkey breast and followed the directions on the package:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
Remove the outer packaging and the gravy packet
Rinse the turkey breast inside and out
Pat dry

I then put it in a 9x13 glass baking dish (that I sprayed for good measure). Here is where the fun got started. I took a small can of concentrated OJ (partially thawed) and mixed it with about a cup of Apricot Pineapple Marmalade. I couldn't find a brush so I used the back of a spoon to spread it along the outside of the bird (I had removed about half of the skin for personal preference). I covered it with aluminum foil and put it in the oven for 3 1/2 hours (time will vary by size). At that time I rotated the turkey and ladled juices from the bottom of the pan, into the cavity of the turkey for the final 25 minutes.

My kids decided they liked it with a little bit of soy sauce and my husband put it on yeasty rolls from Sam's Club. I thought it turned out well and was super moist. A moment of bravery for my cooking resume!

No comments: