Saturday, December 2, 2006

To despair is to turn your back on God.

Today wasn't a day of getting a whole lot done yet I still feel it was a good day overall. Whitney woke me up by yelling at Meghan for having a crush on Whitney's younger brother. I cleaned the dishes and broke Tammy's only plate in the process. I have yet to do any of my homework. I can't afford to join a group of buddies to go climbing. I wasted so much time watching season one of Arrested Development. Christmas stuff isn't making me as happy as it used to, knowing that I'll be in my apartment. There were a few other bad things but why dwell on it?!

Overall, it was a good day! I got to help out with the ward service project and watch these adorable little kids. I actually got invited to go and do things with people (doesn't happen much), and I got my visiting teaching done. That gave me the chance to go back through my notes from the last General Conference, which led me to my favorite talk. Said talk helped uplift my spirit quite a bit. With lines like, "You are the beloved son or daughter of Heavenly Father, created 'in his own image,' and of immense value--so much so that Jesus Christ gave His life for you," and "Refrain from repeatedly thinking or saying negative words about yourself--there is a clear difference between humility and humiliation," or "When overwhelmed by expectations and challenges, do not fight the battle alone. Follow the example of small children, and drop to your knees in prayer." The one that struck me the hardest this time through, however, was this, "find joy in each day. One source of joy is service, for when you are busy helping others, you will have less capacity to agonize over your own shortcomings....You will experience greater joy in life as you eradicate adult-onset pessimism and substitute childlike optimism. Optimism is a virtue that allows us to see God's loving hand in the details or our life."

No comments: